I currently provide copyediting and proofreading services for individual authors, publishers, businesses and bloggers.
To proofread your manuscript/document I will:
- Check spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Check headings and subheadings.
- Ensure correct use of capitalisation and hyphenation.
- Check the consistency of names/places, formatting, word use, hyphenation, spacing and layout.
- Query any jumbled text or fact errors.
- Apply your house style (where relevant).
A proofread is the final polish of a manuscript before publishing.
If your project is need of some style and sentence intervention, you may be looking for a copyedit. This will entail:
- Giving you advice on re-writing sentences or suggesting more appropriate/powerful words.
- Dealing with clarity/ambiguity/repetition/verbosity.
- Checking grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Creating a style sheet for you.
- Marking up using Track Changes in Word.
- Checking continuity with regard to the narrative and any displayed material.
- Ensure consistency of style throughout the project.
- Informing you of any libel/bias.
This is where I take an in-depth look at the first 500 words of a story or novel. It usually takes anything from 4-6 hours. I will check each sentence for:
- Narrative point of view
- Choice of words
- Grammar & punctuation
- Sentence length/structure
- Showing rather than telling
- Narrative flow
It is an excellent tool for improving an author’s writing skills and saving on future editing costs. I will provide you with a full report so you can identify any writer’s tics and see where your strengths lie. This is an affordable way to give you the tools to polish your manuscript before sending it for editing.
*Forensic500 is a fixed fee of £79
Pricing Your Project
My charges are always reasonable and my mantra is ‘give more than is required’. The cost of your project will depend on several factors:
- Whether you require copyediting or proofreading
- The length of the project
- How much intervention is required
I will ask to see a sample of your manuscript or text before giving you a price. Evaluating your project allows me to give you an accurate rate.
For larger projects, I usually charge by the word as my fee decreases with the length of the project but quotes can be given by the hour/page/word or whole project depending on your preference.